September 1st is a special day for me. It’s the day I started Happy. This week we’re celebrating a decade in business, what an achievement and one I’m very proud of.
To celebrate, I’ve created a playlist. Here’s our 10 years in song highlighting some of the things we’ve learnt along the way.
- Life is a Rollercoaster: It sure is. Running a business is thrilling. You’re up. You’re down. You’re running around at 100mph. Emotions are up and riding high when wham bam there’s something to bring you back down. Yes it’s high octane. Yes it’s thrilling, and yes it’s challenging. Of course the alternative is to sit and watch but for the very best experience I say Ronan Keating got it right. … “you just gotta ride it”
- Money Makes the World Go Round. And business keep on turning. If cash is king, then cashflow is queen, ruling every business decision you make. It’s no wonder there’s an obsession with it. From planning for growth to investing in a new team, taking on bigger projects and bigger customers cash is at the heart. Growing can be painful cash wise, and we’ve certainly experienced that over the years. Keeping a close eye on our cash has helped the Happy wheels keep on turning.
- When you Believe. In business, belief is the keyword for me. It all starts with a belief that it can be done; and that belief should be your constant companion. Of course I’ve had a few wobbles over the years, and times of self-doubt, I think that’s natural but remembering why I started Happy and the impact Happy’s made helps restore my balance. If you believe in something you will find ways to get through. One thing for sure in business is that your resilience will be tested to the core, which is why you must believe in yourself. Because as the beautiful Whitney sang “Miracles can happen when you believe”
- Shiny Happy People. Where would the world be without them?. We have a curious knack of finding special people. People that become Happies with their positive, refreshing and inspiring view of life. And people around us who believe in what we do; and more importantly how we do it. We are blessed to have a strong network of shiny happy people of Happies, believers; customers, mentors, partners. Thank you. You all know who you are.
- It’s been a hard day’s night …. And I’ve been working like a dog. Anyone ever had this feeling? Growing a business from nothing and celebrating 10 years, comes with a lot of hard graft. You’ve got to love what you do to put in the hours. The long hours, the evenings, the weekends, the early morning finishes. Not just by me but by the whole team. So yes it’s been a hard day’s night .. but what a lovely morning.
- 10 out of 10. You can’t beat a bit of Paolo Nutini’s 10 out of 10 to raise the spirits. Its upbeat tempo and spritely lyrics make me smile and energise me every time. We give our best always, 10 out of 10 is what we aim for across all areas of the business.
- When the going gets tough. The tough get going. How True Billy (Ocean). Running a business is real test of character. It’s certainly not an easy ride, and it’s not for the faint-hearted. Believe me there are plenty of obstacles thrown in your way. I always think that you can judge a company not in the good times but when the going gets tough. That’s the true test. And that’s the time to really stand up and be counted.
- Open your mind. Usura’s Club Classic full of high energy. Not too many words in this song but lots of repetition (and we all know how good that is). I encourage being different. Standing out. As Dr Seuss put it “why fit in when you were born to stand out” For Happy, our ability to think differently not just in terms of creativity but in terms of how to do business; and how to create our culture has allowed us to continue growing for over a decade. That’s what you get when you open your mind.
- Can’t get you outta my head. Aaaah Happy. It’s with me when I walk, when I wake up and when I’m eating chocolate (to name a few). It’s part of me; and I can’t get it out of my head. Not that I’d want to. Happy is an extension of me and it’s my passion. It’s always with me; and that’s the way (ah-ah ah-ah) I like it.
- Happy. If Happy made a pop song, this would be it. Thanks Pharrell. “It might seem crazy what I’m about to say …” but 10 years ago we created Happy to spread happiness and make the world a happier place” I think we’ve done that, and we’ll continue to do that too. It’s something myself and the Happies are immensely proud of.
Karen Lambert is a creative thinker, an experienced strategic marketer and founder and Managing Director of Happy Creative, a strategic marketing and branding agency based in Lancashire, North West England. To learn more please contact Karen at www.happy-creative.co.uk.